The team at Dataclay has listened to you, our valued customers, and worked to re-architect Templater's entire codebase, improving overall performance, fixing long-standing bugs, and adding a number of exciting new features. Templater now ships as three separate editions, each with a specific feature set. See Templater Editions to note which features are in each edition.
2.1.11 — Build 6365
- Templater installs to Adobe After Effects CC 2015.3 and that version is now supported.
2.1.10 — Build 6326
- Improved batch processing: Templater no longer deletes the output in a specified output location before a batch process begins. Instead, Templater will overwrite existing files with the same name as the output filename.
- Replication Bug Fix: In some cases, versioned project file replicates were accummulating unnecessary item references. In order to fix this, Templater now purges any references to unused footage within the project file before saving a replicate. If using the CLI, replication tasks ignore the
"save_on_completion"key in the templater-options.json file. The master project file will always be saved before Templater closes After Effects.
- Improved data retrieval: The code for retrieving data has been re-architected for more consistency and robustness.
- Improved Bot support: The Bot now supports Remote JSON URLs as data sources. HOWEVER, Templater cannot update the "
render-status" value automatically because the data source is specific to the user. Therefore, users should write custom scripts to update
"render-status"values at appropriate events to avoid re-rendering
2.1.8 — Build 6326
- New Feature: Users now have the option to specify an After Effects Output Module and Render Settings Template from within Templater's connected spreadsheet or other data source. Use "
module" as the column name for specifying a job's Output Module. Use "
render-setting" as the column name for specifying the Render Settings Template for each job.
- Bug Fix: Fixed a crash bug where an infinite loop was caused if the authorized Google account did not have access to the Google Sheet loaded from the After Effects Project XMP data that was saved by Templater.
- Improved Event Scripting: For Templater Bot's "Post Job", "Post Batch", and "On Bot Disable" events, users can now enter any command as they would if they were in a terminal session. In this command line, users can input special variables as arguments that get information about the processed job. Users can also pass specific job data as command line arguments by prefixing a column name or property key with a dollar symbol (
$). See Passing Job Details to Event Scripts for more information, and head over to Dataclay's event-scripts code repository to see updated sample scripts.
- Improved Post Batch Details: When a script file or command is registered with Templater Bot's "Post Batch" event, the auto-generated templater-batch-details.json file now includes absolute paths to each output file generated in the batch process.
- Improved Logging: Templaternow outputs a templater.err file and logs only error messages to this file. Error message are logged as single-line json objects so other apps can inspect them with ease. The templater.err file is written to the same location as the templater.log and templater.out. When using Templater's command line interface, specifying a
log_locationin the templater-options.json file is no longer required, but it is still strongly recommended. If the log location is not specified, all templater log files are written to the system's temporary directory. See Troubleshooting the Templater Command Line Interface for more information.
- Bug Fix: Interactively selecting a footage source when Templater recognizes a faulty footage reference was not functioning properly. This has been fixed and users can now select a file when clicking the "Find" button or when Templater's preferences is set to "Let me find the footage asset"
- Regression Bug Fix: In 2.1.7, when running a batch render or replication task, not having an "id" column or property key in the data source resulted in a single filename being overwritten. Users now do not need an "id" column or property key to get unique file names written to disk.
2.1.7 — Build 6014
- Bug Fix: Previously, if using Google Sheets as a data source while having The Bot enabled for extended periods of time (i.e. 3 hours or longer), Templater would report the error: "undefined is not an object" and subsequently shut down The Bot. This was due to how Google's API expires authentication tokens while Templater was in a "background processing" mode. This error no longer shows up, and Templater will automatically refresh its Google access token when Google sets it to expire.
- Bug Fix: Previously, when a user signed out of their Google Drive account from within the "Google Spreadsheet Setup" dialog, the UI would not immediately reflect that a sign out occurred. Now, when a user clicks sign out, the UI updates immediately.
2.1.6 — Build 6005
- Bug Fix: If a remote JSON data source URL contained query parameters, Templater would freeze upon retreival. URLs pointing to remote JSON data sources can now have query parameters.
2.1.5 — Build 6004
- Bug Fix: 2.1.4 introduced a bug related to Templater licensing that has been resolved. If you have 2.1.4 installed, please be sure to update to 2.1.5.
- Bug Fix: With the introduction of Remote JSON Data sources in version 2.1.4, the command line interface cofiguration file (templater-options.json) can declare new properties within the "prefs" object. In 2.1.4, if the user did not specify a "remote_json" property within the "prefs" object, Templater CLI would report an error. This has been fixed, and so a "remote_json" property is no longer required.
2.1.4 — Build 5977
- New Feature: Data source support for remote JSON URLs. Users can now enter a URL into the "Data source" field (Panel) or "data_source" property (Command Line Interface). The response that comes back from the URL must already conform to the structure as specified in Dataclay's support documentation for local JSON file. If Basic Authentication is needed, click on "Remote JSON Configuration" within Templater Preferences dialog to enter a username and password and to add any custom request headers. NOTE: In this update, The Bot DOES NOT support remote JSON data sources.
- New Feature: From within the "Google Spreadsheet Setup" dialog, users can view the selected Google Spreadsheet. First select a worksheet from the list, then click on "Open and view this spreadsheet" to launch a browser window and view worksheet's Google Sheet.
- Improved Bot: Templater Bot now fully supports local JSON files. JSON Objects can now have a 'render-status' and 'bot' property. If The Bot is enabled, and the data source is set to a local JSON formatted file, The Bot will parse the objects with a 'render-status' set to 'ready', process them, and then update the local data source. Multiple Bots can process the same local file as well. Templater Preferences dialog now has a preference for the interval duration for checking local JSON files for ready data objects.
- Improved output: Improved output capabilities in Pro and Bot editions. When using the command line interface (CLI) with Templater Bot, an output directory that does not exist in the file system will be created automatically. Users can now specify sub-directories under the output column to neatly organize their output. For example, if the 'output' column / property in a datasource has 'subdir/myrender' as a value, then the 'myrender' output file will be found under the directory named 'subdir' relative to the specified directory specified in "Output folder" field (Panel) or "output_location" property (CLI).
- Improved messaging: Log messages are more accurate when Bot is enabled and retrieving data from data source. Paths specified for "log_location" for the command line interface no longer need to already exist in the file system. Templater will attempt to create the log location if it cannot find it. Minor fixes to additional messages.
- Bug Fix: Fixed aescripts + aeplugins subscription activation bug. OSX Users installing Templater on machines with a space character in their home directory name can now activate subscription features for Templater.
- Bug Fix: Launching Templater Bot via the command line interface with "replica_comps_to_ame" set to true task would hang when "quit_on_completion" was set to true.
- Bug Fix: In some cases, users were unable to use a lowercase 'id' label in a spreadsheet column header or property. Now, both 'id' and 'ID' will work for a proper column label.
- Bug Fix: Output prefixes were not being applied to output names specified under the 'output' column in a data source. This has been fixed. Users can now use the 'prefix' field to prepend custom output names.
New Enhanced Features:
- The Bot for Templater Simplify your workflow with a fully automated enterprise solution for custom video on demand.
- Command-line interface Engage with Templater processes through shell commands.
- Event Scripts Hook into Templater's processes using scripts after each job is processed or after all jobs are processed.
New Standard Features
- Support for JSON Use a JSON-formatted text file or a remote URL with a JSON formatted data feed as a data source.
- Cloud-based footage support Use URLs as footage sources.
- Logging system Record a sequence of actions by Templater for later review.
- Improved previewing Cycle through previews or preview one row at a time.
- Project-specific presets Save Batch Assets information within the project file to quickly open and link a pre-existing project.
- Switching between AE project templates in the same data source Use the same spreadsheet or JSON file to hold data for multiple AE projects.
- More ways to specify a target composition Set the target comp from within the data source or the AE project.
- Custom output file naming Easily name your output files.
- New dynamic layer type The Templater Settings effect can now be applied to adjustment layers.